Personal Drive - Frequently asked questions
Posted by Panagiotis Mantzouranis on 15 January 2020 06:49 PM
- What is "Personal Drive" feature?
Personal drive feature provides customers with a personal hard disk to store their personal files
It is a virtual disk created on the client pc during login. The actual files in this drive are located on your Gizmo Server
- How do i enable this feature?
Follow this tutorial to enable Personal Drive feature
- Is this feature just a regular "network drive"?
This feature does not use windows network sharing. It is a custom implementation. It does not require shares or a server OS and does not appear on the client as a network drive.
- Does this feature work with Guest logins?
No, this feature is only available for customers with an account
- Can i provide this feature to selected customers?
Yes, you can enable the personal drive only for specific Usergroup(s)
- Can i configure the size of the drive?
Yes, you can select the size of the personal drive.
- Where are the actual files stored?
The contents of the personal drive are stored by default inside the Gizmo Service folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\NETProjects\Gizmo Service\UserData\)
You can relocate the folder by selecting a different folder path in:
Setup → Configure → Server → File System → User Storage Path
- Can i access the customer files?
The files can be accessed from the Server's file system. They are not compressed/encrypted
- Does Gizmo pre-allocate the disk space on server?
No. Gizmo does not pre-allocate the total size of the personal disk. The disk space used on the server is only the actual size of the customer's files.
- Are the files copied to/from the client during login/logout?
No. The files are accessed "live" from the server, just like a network drive. Personal drive does not work like PUFs do.
- Can i move windows "special folders" (eg. my documents, my pictures) inside this drive?
Yes, Gizmo has this feature. You may redirect windows special folders inside the personal drive.
Setup → Configure → Client → Client Settings → User File Storage → Redirect User Folders